Sunday 8 August 2010

Ambition

I may not the most ambitious of people, but that hasn’t stopped me from coming up with some ambitious plans. The most recent was choosing to cycle the length of the country. Today we are getting somewhere near the half way point, arriving in Wigan. I firmly believe that Wigan is in the north of England, so I find it quite amazing that we have reached somewhere that sounds as northern as Wigan, even if there is the Lake District and Scotland still to come. The accents are definitely northern anyway. Shrewsbury to Wigan was a little more than 70 miles, making today our most ambitious day in terms of miles. The idea was to cover some miles whilst the ground was pretty flat.

We stopped in the not so busy town of Whitchurch, and set off for Warrington on the A49. Some sections of this country a-road are rather windy, and we had become used to being overtaken by speeding bikes. Whoosh was certainly the official noise of the day. On one narrow section of road I looked up to see a white van (why do they always stick to the stereotype) on my side of the road heading straight towards me. This driver was also rather feeling rather ambitious, trying to overtake on a blind corner. A quick swerve towards the hedge and I survived, but it didn’t half make my heart flutter.

We made it to Wigan safe and sound, with the exception of the first injury of the trip so far. A pulled tendon in my right knee cause me some issues in the last 10 miles, so getting a knee support is the first job for tomorrow.

Google informs me that we have travelled a total of 375 miles, and we are still alive so far :-)

Will

3 comments:

  1. Good morning boys. Almost half way that's great! Hope the knee is feeling better today Will? Was that really THE David Mitchell?? You will be getting back into some beautiful countryside today following yesterday's sojourn through the north west towns of Warrington and Wigan! Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen1:11 pm

    I'm still enjoying the updates, I'd been away for the weekend so had some catching up to do! It makes me feel very lazy sitting at my desk reading about your adventures! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ribbott5:06 pm

    We got your postcard today Will - lovely. Having done Shrewsbury, Wigan and Preston you've covered off towns of family importance for me, Matt and Adam. I think we all feel pleased with that! Keep on cycling, and don't worry - there are loads of exciting questions I've got saved up for your return!

    ps if you have iPlayer - watch Sherlock its great

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete